Hendrik III Berthout, Lord of Geel, founds the Geel Hospice shortly before 1286. The foundation follows in the footsteps of hospices in larger towns.
In 1552 the Geel Hospice is taken over by the Augustinian Sisters Hospitallers. They extend the site and continue to professionalise its services. The convent complex dates from the early 17th century.
Following the French Revolution the Geel Hospice is reformed as a civilian institution. Thereafter the complex becomes the property of the COO, the forerunner of the CPAS.
The complex is listed as a protected monument in 1938. At that point the Augustinian Sisters Hospitaller are still in charge of the buildings. In 1971 they repurchase the buildings and establish a museum.
Today the Hospital Museum is a municipal service. In 2013 the Government of Flanders Agency for Arts and Heritage awarded the museum a quality label as a ‘collection-managing cultural-heritage organisation’.